The_Matrix
March 28, 2024, 04:42:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Register for a free account today, and you can customize your profile, read hidden boards, and add your own posts and comments too!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Your Career and Green Living

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Career and Green Living  (Read 742 times)
Fine Point

rainmusic

« on: April 25, 2009, 06:41:22 pm »

Stay Home and Work   
02:01 AM Wednesday April 22, 2009

By Rosabeth Moss Kanter

President Obama, here is a deceptively simple action item to put on your agenda for business growth, working families, and a green future: Make it the norm for everyone to work at home at least one day a week. That single step could raise productivity, save energy, decrease pollution, reduce traffic congestion, cut household expenses, increase quality of family life, and keep educated women in the work force.

Workers of the world, go remote!

During this time of economic crisis and reinvention of global capitalism, one of the things crying out for reinvention is the rigid workplace of the last century. It is amazing in the digital age that most work is still associated with industrial age work rhythms and the symbolic chains that tie workers, knowledge and otherwise, to fixed locations. Flexible workplaces with flexible hours and days are long in coming.

more @ bloomberg.com
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 07:12:21 pm by Fine Point » Report Spam   Logged

There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation. – Herbert Spencer

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

GoodWitch

There's No Place Like Home

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 10:12:26 pm »

I couldn't agree more. There are SO MANY jobs that just don't require an office. Sales, either inside or outside, is a prime example. Computer or telephone-based work of any kind is another. One day maybe logic will prevail.
Report Spam   Logged

Jade

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 05:59:30 pm »

I would agree, however, I think I am one of those people that seems more productive in the confines of a professional setting. When i had a job where i worked more remotely from home I found that it was tough to get as motivated sitting at home in my pajamas. LOL

Something about dressing professional and being in a professional setting that can actually make me FEEL more professional and as such for me, more productive.

I have a feeling i am in the minority. LOL

But yea, one day a week would likely gain a lot not just in the way of productivity or morale but in the interest of saving fuel and other costs associated with an employee traveling to work every work day.  I don't think it works as well full time remote tho - I have managed associates who worked from home 100% and those who did not and the latter pool of people were not only more productive, they felt more engaged and a part of a team then the ones who were remote as evidenced by our sensing surveys and one on one reviews.
Report Spam   Logged
Fine Point

rainmusic

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 07:31:47 pm »

I think that's why one or maybe two days at the most would work for most people. 

Others such as mums nursing babies might be able to use more days a week at home and still be productive due to the perceived immense benefit of being with their babies at such a critical time. 

I'm an optimist... heh
Report Spam   Logged

There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation. – Herbert Spencer

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: