The_Matrix
March 28, 2024, 10:22:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Register for a free account today, and you can customize your profile, read hidden boards, and add your own posts and comments too!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

How to prank telemarketers

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to prank telemarketers  (Read 1267 times)
wizer

« on: March 18, 2009, 12:53:02 pm »

1. If they want to loan you money, tell them you just filed for bankruptcy and you could sure use some money. Ask: “How long can I keep it? Do I ever have to pay it back, or is it like the other money I borrowed before my bankruptcy?”

2. If they start out with: “How are you today?” Say: “Why do you want to know?” You can also say: “I’m so glad you asked, because no one seems to care these days and I have all these problems, my sciatica is acting up, my eyelashes are sore, my dog just died.” When they try to get back to the sales process, just continue sharing your problems.

3. If the person says he’s Joe Doe from the XYZ Company, ask him to spell his name, then ask him to spell the company name, then ask where it is located. Continue asking personal questions or questions about the company for as long as necessary.

4. This one works better if you are male: Telemarketer: “Hi, my name is Judy and I’m with Canter and Siegel services.” You: “Hang on a second. [pause] Okay, [in a really husky voice] what are you wearing?”

5. Crying out, in well simulated tones of pleasure and surprise: “Judy! Is this really you? I can’t believe it! Judy, how have you BEEN?” Hopefully, this will give Judy a few brief moments of terror as she tries to figure out where the heck she could know you from.

6. Say: “No,” over and over. Be sure to vary the sound of each “no,” and keep an even tempo even as they’re trying to speak. This is the most fun if you can keep going until they hang up.

7. If MCI calls trying to get you to sign up with their Family and Friends plan, reply, in as sinister a voice as you can muster: “I don’t have any friends… would you be my friend?”

8. If they clean rugs: “Can you get blood out, you can? Well, how about goat blood or human blood - chicken blood, too?”

9. Let the person go through their spiel, providing minimal but necessary feedback in the form of an occasional affirmation. Finally, when they ask you to buy, ask them to marry you. They get all flustered, but just tell them you couldn’t give your credit card number to someone who’s a complete stranger.

10. Tell them you work for the same company they work for. Telemarketer: “This is Bill from Watertronics.” You: “Watertronics! Hey I work for them too. Where are you calling from?” Telemarketer: “Uh, Dallas, Texas.” You: “Great, they have a group there too? How’s business / the weather? Too bad the company has a policy against selling to employees.. ! Oh well, see ya.”

11. Tell the telemarketer that you’re busy and ask for their phone number so that you can call them back. If they say they are not allowed to give out their number, then ask them for their home number and tell them you will call them at home (this is usually the most effective method of getting rid of telemarketers). If the person says: “Well, I don’t really want to get a call at home,” say: “Yeah, now you know how I feel.”
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

proverbial victim

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 12:19:07 am »

I lol'd at some of those ideas. Thanks.

For a while, I enjoyed flipping the conversation to try to sell the telemarketer my services instead. Never actually got one to buy, but I came close a couple of times. Now, no telemarketers even call.  They must have seen my credit report, or word got around about my sales-pitch? Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
wizer

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 01:30:07 am »

I'm going to guess it was your credit report rather than your legendary status as a telemarketing buster that finally silenced your adversaries...lol..

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: