The_Matrix
April 19, 2024, 01:37:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Register for a free account today, and you can customize your profile, read hidden boards, and add your own posts and comments too!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Most religious groups in USA have lost ground, survey finds

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Most religious groups in USA have lost ground, survey finds  (Read 608 times)
Fine Point

rainmusic

« on: March 09, 2009, 08:30:04 am »

Most religious groups in USA have lost ground, survey finds

By Cathy Lynn Grossman, USA TODAY

When it comes to religion, the USA is now land of the freelancers.

The percentage. of people who call themselves in some way Christian has dropped more than 11% in a generation. The faithful have scattered out of their traditional bases: The Bible Belt is less Baptist. The Rust Belt is less Catholic. And everywhere, more people are exploring spiritual frontiers — or falling off the faith map completely.

These dramatic shifts in just 18 years are detailed in the new American Religious Identification Survey (ARIS), to be released today. It finds that, despite growth and immigration that has added nearly 50 million adults to the U.S. population, almost all religious denominations have lost ground since the first ARIS survey in 1990.

"More than ever before, people are just making up their own stories of who they are. They say, 'I'm everything. I'm nothing. I believe in myself,' " says Barry Kosmin, survey co-author.

Among the key findings in the 2008 survey:

• So many Americans claim no religion at all (15%, up from 8% in 1990), that this category now outranks every other major U.S. religious group except Catholics and Baptists. In a nation that has long been mostly Christian, "the challenge to Christianity … does not come from other religions but from a rejection of all forms of organized religion," the report concludes.

• Catholic strongholds in New England and the Midwest have faded as immigrants, retirees and young job-seekers have moved to the Sun Belt. While bishops from the Midwest to Massachusetts close down or consolidate historic parishes, those in the South are scrambling to serve increasing numbers of worshipers.

• Baptists, 15.8% of those surveyed, are down from 19.3% in 1990. Mainline Protestant denominations, once socially dominant, have seen sharp declines: The percentage of Methodists, for example, dropped from 8% to 5%.

• The percentage of those who choose a generic label, calling themselves simply Christian, Protestant, non-denominational, evangelical or "born again," was 14.2%, about the same as in 1990.

• Jewish numbers showed a steady decline, from 1.8% in 1990 to 1.2% today. The percentage of Muslims, while still slim, has doubled, from 0.3% to 0.6%. Analysts within both groups suggest those numbers understate the groups' populations.

Ihsan Bagby, associate professor of Islamic studies at the University of Kentucky-Lexington, says that most national telephone surveys such as ARIS undercount Muslims, and that he is conducting a study of mosques' membership sponsored by the Hartford (Conn.) Institute for Religious Research.

Meanwhile, some Jewish surveys that report larger numbers of Jews also include "cultural" Jews — those who connect to Judiasm through its traditions, but not necessarily through actively practicing the religion.

Meanwhile, nearly 2.8 million people now identify with dozens of new religious movements, calling themselves Wiccan, pagan or "Spiritualist," which the survey does not define.

Wicca, a contemporary form of paganism that includes goddess worship and reverence for nature, has even made its way to Arlington National Cemetery, where the Pentagon now allows Wiccans' five-pointed-star symbol to be used on veterans' gravestones.

more @ Most religious groups in USA have lost ground, survey finds - USATODAY.com
Report Spam   Logged

There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation. – Herbert Spencer

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

RWS

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 09:36:05 am »

Doesn't shock me. 
Report Spam   Logged

Remember, it doesn't matter whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose. (Darrin Weinberg)
wizer

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 03:44:05 pm »

So many Americans claim no religion at all (15%, up from 8% in 1990), that this category now outranks every other major U.S. religious group except Catholics and Baptists. In a nation that has long been mostly Christian, "the challenge to Christianity … does not come from other religions but from a rejection of all forms of organized religion," the report concludes.

The nonreligious is the biggest single group as compared to all the others.

That's a very encouraging bit of news. To me, that means people are getting smarter, and asking more questions, and not settling for incomplete and contradictory answers. I have no doubt that some day people will completely make the transition and realize all this talk about Gods, and big wooden boats and a fictitious joke book some refer to as the Bible, are about as realistic as thinking thunder in the sky is from "God's bowling". Unfortunately I doubt it's going to happen in my lifetime, but at least the number of people in my group are getting larger.

Report Spam   Logged
mars bar

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 02:19:59 am »

Islam will end up being the single largest religion in the world, and it will be in my lifetime. if i live to be about 80 that is!!

thats bloody scary if you think about how islam came to be in the first place. it was a religion that people were forced to convert to when it first began, with an angry and bitter Mohommed who was exiled from his homeland for being a tad nutty!  and people are still being forced to convert to Islam in many African countries. Either convert or die!  any religion that forces any of its members to convert is bad news to me....
Report Spam   Logged
Fine Point

rainmusic

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 04:20:36 am »

Not too much longer, I feel, things will turn.  People hate change but they aren't entirely stupid.   If they are, G-d help our children (and that's for all sides)...
Report Spam   Logged

There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation. – Herbert Spencer

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: