The_Matrix
March 28, 2024, 05:26:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Register for a free account today, and you can customize your profile, read hidden boards, and add your own posts and comments too!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

How to use a proxy server and why?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to use a proxy server and why?  (Read 589 times)
Skylla

« on: February 25, 2009, 10:10:34 pm »

First, let me answer the question as to why someone would use a proxy server. There are only 2 main reasons..privacy and deception. A proxy server acts as a "disguise" or a "mask" and it blocks websites from "seeing" your true IP address. The main reason someone such as "Leslie" would use a proxy server is to disguise the fact that they are a loser troll wannabee such as Loopy 2.0 from Trollvalhalla; a failed troll wannabee that was banned from this board for numerous TOS violations despite repeated warnings.

There are several types of proxy servers, ranging from transparent up to Elite (Level 1). Transparent proxies hide your ip address but don't hide the fact that they, themselves are a proxy. True Level 1 elite proxies not only hide your ip information but "fool" the websites into thinking they are a legitimate computer accessing their site. Many proxys that are referred to as Level 1 elites are actually not.

Now back to your question. How do you do it?

The simplest way is to simply go to a website that acts as a proxy. You type in the desired URL in the provided box, and you surf "through" that proxy website. These types are rarely if ever Level 1 proxies, they simply disguise your ip address so you can hide your private information and access "some" web sites that a user has been banned from, including gaming sites, YouTube, Myspace, and of course internet discussion boards...depending on how high the site security settings are cranked down.

More complicated ways of using a proxy include getting an ip address of a proxy server as well as it's "port", and entering that information in the appropriate place in your browser settings, and surf the web like you always do. The problem with these types of proxies is that they tend to be slow.

One caution- when using a proxy server your personal information is revealed to whoever is running that proxy server, so don't enter any information that you don't want others to know including passwords, bank account information, etc. Also proxy sites are known to frequently contain malware and viruses.

Here's a sample proxy site..

http://www.theproxypalace.com/

Thank you Wizer for taking the time to explain it, but I am still confused, don't think I will try it.....anyway why do all that just to get to someplace where you are not wanted?  And if proxy servers can get your bank info, passwords, and other personal info why take the chance?  Guess I just don't get it.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: