The_Matrix
April 18, 2024, 10:24:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Register for a free account today, and you can customize your profile, read hidden boards, and add your own posts and comments too!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Secret Worlds: The Universe Within

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Secret Worlds: The Universe Within  (Read 1078 times)
Fine Point

rainmusic

« on: February 24, 2009, 02:37:53 am »

View the Milky Way at 10 million light years from the Earth. Then move through space towards the Earth in successive orders of magnitude until you reach a tall oak tree just outside the buildings of the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory in Tallahassee, Florida. After that, begin to move from the actual size of a leaf into a microscopic world that reveals leaf cell walls, the cell nucleus, chromatin, DNA and finally, into the subatomic universe of electrons and protons.
Report Spam   Logged

There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation. – Herbert Spencer

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

fairydust
Bronze

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 09:33:59 am »

neat! Lemme pass this on!
Report Spam   Logged

GoodWitch

There's No Place Like Home

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 12:33:28 pm »

Way cool! I swiped it.
Report Spam   Logged

Fine Point

rainmusic

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 09:57:14 pm »

I'm glad you like it!   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation. – Herbert Spencer

wizer

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 11:01:59 pm »

Very thought provoking. I was thinking after I got to "Quarks" that for some reason I would come out the other side and be back to looking at the universe again...

Report Spam   Logged
Fine Point

rainmusic

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 11:11:17 pm »

The Size Of Our World
^^^ click here ^^^
Report Spam   Logged

wizer

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 11:20:10 pm »

Very cool.

Much easier to picture the relative sizes the way it's shown in that web site.

And Antares vs our Sun..WOW.

I bet if the Earth was that big it would take FOREVER to fly from one side to the other!

At least they should serve dinner on the flight because it would be very long.

They NEVER serve dinner any more! Just those little bags of pretzels and never enough soda to quench your thirst from all the salt they put in there.
Report Spam   Logged
mars bar

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 12:20:13 am »

Very cool.

Much easier to picture the relative sizes the way it's shown in that web site.

And Antares vs our Sun..WOW.

I bet if the Earth was that big it would take FOREVER to fly from one side to the other!

At least they should serve dinner on the flight because it would be very long.

They NEVER serve dinner any more! Just those little bags of pretzels and never enough soda to quench your thirst from all the salt they put in there.

Antares is 700 times bigger than the sun and it takes the earth 365 days to get around the sun at a speed of 100,000 km per hour. A boeing 747 travels at approximately 900km per hr. if anyone is good at maths it should be easy to work out how long it would take to tavel by plane around antares. I am hopeless at maths, but I do love astronomy and yes, even astrology, guess that makes me an airheaded geek!!
Report Spam   Logged
wizer

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 10:15:40 am »

Antares is 700 times bigger than the sun and it takes the earth 365 days to get around the sun at a speed of 100,000 km per hour. A boeing 747 travels at approximately 900km per hr. if anyone is good at maths it should be easy to work out how long it would take to tavel by plane around antares. I am hopeless at maths, but I do love astronomy and yes, even astrology, guess that makes me an airheaded geek!!

I guess you'd have to use volume and circumference formulas and work backwards or something.

I bet it would take nothing less than many years for a plane to fly around Antares...that's of course a rough guestimate; I don't even want to attempt the math.

Report Spam   Logged
fairydust
Bronze

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 03:53:19 pm »

What is this artures?? I've never heard of that..
Report Spam   Logged

mars bar

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 12:02:52 am »

What is this artures?? I've never heard of that..

you mean Antares fairydust cos i was wondering what artures was too now so i looked it up and it gave me pics of tatooed women!! he he he.

Antares is a freaking great big huge star!!!!! its massive. 
Report Spam   Logged
wizer

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 10:05:51 pm »

you mean Antares fairydust cos i was wondering what artures was too now so i looked it up and it gave me pics of tatooed women!! he he he.

Antares is a freaking great big huge star!!!!! its massive. 

It might be huge but it's too far away to do you any good.

cool
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: