The_Matrix
March 28, 2024, 12:46:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Register for a free account today, and you can customize your profile, read hidden boards, and add your own posts and comments too!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Using a digital camera as a web cam

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using a digital camera as a web cam  (Read 411 times)
wizer

« on: February 21, 2009, 11:28:33 am »

A member on another board asked me about what web cam I might recommend for her.

I asked her if she had a digital camera and she said she did. I explained that most digital cameras can in fact be used as web cams.

The following apply:

-Many digital cameras come with software and drivers that will enable it to be used as a webcam. Sometimes all you have to do is plug it in and you're all set. Go to a site such as Justin_TV (click) and it will allow you to create a profile, it will "find" the camera on your system and install the necessary drivers and make any necessary adjustments
-You may want to go to the camera's website, and get any driver/software updates that may be applicable.
-Sometimes camera makers will have a driver upgrade, to handle changes that the messenger (MSN, Yahoo, AIM) services have made, recently.
-you will need to purchase an AC adapter to provide constant power to the camera. Otherwise you will go through batteries relatively quickly.
-you may need to adjust the camera so it doesn't go on standby after a few minutes. It's possible that some cameras do not have an adjustment for that feature.

One disadvantage to using a digital camera as a web cam is that they don't have an adjustable swivel base so you need to get creative to position the camera where you want it.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Fine Point

rainmusic

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 12:13:04 pm »

This is cool wizer, wonders never cease!   good one
Report Spam   Logged

There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation. – Herbert Spencer

wizer

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 12:22:49 pm »

A couple of ways to position a digital camera how you want it

- velcro tape to the back of the camera and the other piece to your monitor so you can easily attach it and remove it. You can tilt or turn the monitor slightly to get the camera pointed at yourself..the advantage is that when you look at the monitor you are looking almost directly at the camera.

- a ball of clay that you can mold into a cradle to hold the camera at the proper angle

- a plastic bag filled with sand to do the same thing

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: