The_Matrix
April 16, 2024, 02:42:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Register for a free account today, and you can customize your profile, read hidden boards, and add your own posts and comments too!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

We made Black and White cookies tonite!!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We made Black and White cookies tonite!!!!  (Read 626 times)
wizer

« on: March 21, 2008, 08:29:11 pm »

We were planning this for weeks! We got the recipe, went shopping for the ingredients...

The grocery bill was a bit steep, but of course many of the items were one shot deals...like the flour, the salt, the vanilla extract will last for another 10 years...but $40 for ingredients?

So we got back to my place and started cooking. A few "mistakes" were made.

The first picture is the intended result. The second was what came out of the oven.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

wizer

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 03:58:00 pm »

[originally posted on DO 3/22/08]

Here's the second batch:

Here's the third batch, a few days later:

Here's the link to the recipe:

Tips I learned:- flat side of cookie UP, don't let the bottoms burn, keep the frosting thick or it will run off the cookie

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/106171

Last night at around 2 am, we took a ride to Pathmark and got the missing ingredients that we needed to make another batch of Black and White cookies. We were out of the "confectioners sugar".

Batch #4 came out better than the previous batches..if someone is REALLY curious, I will snap pictures, but you better say something soon because they are going fast...

Other observations regarding these cookies:

1) They are fairly complex to make, there are many pitfalls that can be hit during the production process, as evidenced by my "lessons learned" in various places on this very thread. Dont make the cookies too thick or you may find that the center isnt completely cooked, and in order to cook the center thoroughly, the bottoms (which become the tops) may burn. Last nights batch was PERFECT in regard to being completely cooked. The icing should be thick enough so it doesnt run off the cookie..but if it is peanut buttur consistency then you dont get the smooth finish..but it still looks and tastes fine.

2) When we got back to my place at 2:30am and sweetpea (user id on this site) started mixing the ingredients, she realized to her chagrin that the buttermilk was no good! So she mixed the skim milk with butter, and it worked just fine. In fact maybe even better. So why buy buttermilk when you can use easy to find ingredients?

3) She found that setting the oven to 150 (150 is NOT a typo) rather than 450 worked much better, although that might be because my oven runs too hot.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: