The_Matrix
March 28, 2024, 10:37:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Register for a free account today, and you can customize your profile, read hidden boards, and add your own posts and comments too!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Is magicJack Spyware?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is magicJack Spyware?  (Read 564 times)
wizer

« on: February 11, 2009, 10:31:21 pm »

Condensed from HERE

Is magicJack Spyware?

After writing about the magicJack device last month (see magicJack Phone Service), I've received a flood of comments. Most people who wrote seem to love this gadget, which connects your phone to your computer and provides unlimited phone service for $20 a year. Others were vocal in their dislike for the product. I can understand that some people will have voice quality problems, due to under-powered hardware, a flaky internet connection, or software conflicts. But after a few people wrote in claiming that magicJack contains spyware or keyloggers and that the company may be selling private information to the highest bidder, I decided to investigate for myself.

-The article goes into a lot of detail that is omitted from this post-

What's the Verdict on magicJack?

It's true that the magicJack terms of service are a little vague on some points, and that the EULA (end-user license agreement) contains that standard legalese found in so many of these documents, which attempts to absolve the company of all blame, no matter what happens. But it's just not fair to extrapolate beyond the facts, and make unfounded claims that the company is doing evil or trampling on the privacy of their customers.

Here's what I believe... based on my own research, my personal interaction with magicJack users, and my reading of the Terms of Service:

There is no evidence that the magicJack software is snooping around on hard drives, looking through documents, emails, or web browsing history.

There is no evidence that the magicJack software is (or contains) spyware. Neither do I give any credibility to the notion that the auto-update feature might someday dump spyware on the computers of MJ users.

There is no evidence that the company selling magicJack has ever sold private information to third parties, and no indication in the TOS that they might. In fact, they explicitly state that they will not.

More on magicJack HERE
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Rella

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 07:09:42 am »

Has anyone here tried one of these???
Report Spam   Logged

I must be a Yawnie cuz Rubes says so!!
fairydust
Bronze

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 12:08:31 pm »

I  tried it and i could not get that damn thing to work no matter what with my Mac.. it was unbelievably frustrating.  I think i must have had a two page rant about it on another forum.
Report Spam   Logged

Rella

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 05:07:17 pm »

I  tried it and i could not get that damn thing to work no matter what with my Mac.. it was unbelievably frustrating.  I think i must have had a two page rant about it on another forum.

Do you have an intel Mac?  I saw on the site they only work with those.

My 2 Macs are not intel......but if they worked well I might give one a shot on my pc.
Report Spam   Logged

I must be a Yawnie cuz Rubes says so!!
mofwtmy

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 06:59:22 pm »

Skype anyone?

Report Spam   Logged
fairydust
Bronze

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 01:24:38 am »

yup mine is an intel Mac but i could not get that thing to work on the Mac side of my computer at all and it worked just slightly when i used it on the windows side.. it was a mess.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: