The_Matrix
March 29, 2024, 03:43:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Register for a free account today, and you can customize your profile, read hidden boards, and add your own posts and comments too!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Caution regarding the newly released Windows XP Service pack 3

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Caution regarding the newly released Windows XP Service pack 3  (Read 168 times)
wizer

« on: January 30, 2009, 03:35:56 pm »

Some service packs address bugs, others improve performance, still others patch security holes.

Oftentimes they are not fully tested and thrown out there for us to download at our peril. Microsoft has a history of doing just that, and a tip I just got from a computer savvy friend seems to indicate that the new Service Pack 3 for Windows XP might be something to wait on.

Here's what he's got to say about it.

Just a heads up..Windows XP came out with SP3 a service pack that has added "functionality" to the operating system. After the install my system started running slow as molasses. I uninstalled it and it only helped slightly. I just spoke to an IT guy who agrees it can slow your browsing down by 50%.  It probably has RAM requirements like Vista which is more than just 1 GB.  Just thought I'd pass it along. 
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

wizer

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 08:21:39 pm »

Here's a followup regarding this issue.

A few months ago, the pc I use in my private office at work suddenly got very sluggish. Menus took a long time to open, graphics took forever to load, the system would hang, take forever to boot up and shut down. I tried everything to no avail, including defragging, scanning, removing temporary files, running registry repair utilities, checking and removing spyware and adware..

Then after I got that email, and posted about it here, I went and checked and sure enough I had XP Service pack 3 already loaded..as a result of Windows Automatic updates that many computers are set up for. I ran across the street to my local computer store and upped the Ram from 256k to 512k. It wouldnt take any more, but as per the guy in the computer store, 512k is the minimum for Service pack 3 and it made all the difference in the world. My pc was back to it's "normal" self.

Leave it to Microsoft to release an upgrade that is not suitable for the majority of computer users out there who don't have that much Ram in their system. Check what version of XP you're running by right clicking  My Computer and then clicking properties. It will display it right there along with how much memory is installed. Ram is cheap and it's easy to pop it right into the mainboard. The key is knowing what type and how much your system can handle.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: