The_Matrix
March 28, 2024, 01:00:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Register for a free account today, and you can customize your profile, read hidden boards, and add your own posts and comments too!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Removing "crapware" from your computer to get it back to speed

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing "crapware" from your computer to get it back to speed  (Read 422 times)
wizer

« on: January 24, 2009, 09:47:10 am »

Crapware is software that you don't want on your pc. It includes spyware, malware, adware, or even bloated drivers and programs that automatically load at startup that you rarely if ever use.

These two programs will help you remove most or all of these programs. The time you spend downloading and installing them....and learning how to properly use them will be paid back many times over in a faster pc with less hangups and system crashes.

CCleaner is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less than a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware! Smiley

Download HERE (click)

Autoruns- This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of auto-starting locations of any startup monitor, shows you what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login, and shows you the entries in the order Windows processes them. These programs include ones in your startup folder, Run, RunOnce, and other Registry keys. You can configure Autoruns to show other locations, including Explorer shell extensions, toolbars, browser helper objects, Winlogon notifications, auto-start services, and much more. Autoruns goes way beyond the MSConfig utility bundled with Windows Me and XP.

Download HERE (click)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Fine Point

rainmusic

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 05:00:17 pm »

Thanks wizer,

I downloaded both.   O0
Report Spam   Logged

There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation. – Herbert Spencer

Rella

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 06:29:32 pm »

OK, I admit I am a PC idiot.

I am a Mac girl (but my son wanted to use my Mac, so being the nice Mom that I try to be, I let him borrow it).

I used to use PC's years ago (and I mean years), so I really don't know what I am suppose to do to this thing on a regular basis to clean it up.

I remember doing the defrag thing.....but how often are you suppose to do this?
I just had this PC wiped and had XP reinstalled, but I haven't a clue on what to do with it.

I have AVG anti virus, and Adaware installed on it. I use a wired router and run XP on it.  I have used this PC occasionally in the past, and it's never been infected by a worm or virus. 

Now I did take your advice and install Ccleaner (I think that's what you called it), and ran it.  It found a bunch of cookies and some things that I deleted that were in the recycle bin. Then it asked if I was sure I wanted to delete those items, that they would be permanently deleted forever......got scared and said no!

I know I am most likely too chicken to say yes LOL...but it's like those things that you have stored away in your closet......maybe you will need them someday LOL.....

So whaddya think.....

I do know that running more than one anti virus program is a no no. But do you think I am safe or do I need to install more on this thing....to keep me safe.
Report Spam   Logged

I must be a Yawnie cuz Rubes says so!!
wizer

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 06:37:54 pm »

I used to use PC's years ago (and I mean years), so I really don't know what I am suppose to do to this thing on a regular basis to clean it up.

I remember doing the defrag thing.....but how often are you suppose to do this?

I have AVG anti virus, and Adaware installed on it. I use a wired router and run XP on it.  I have used this PC occasionally in the past, and it's never been infected by a worm or virus. 

Now I did take your advice and install Ccleaner (I think that's what you called it), and ran it.  It found a bunch of cookies and some things that I deleted that were in the recycle bin. Then it asked if I was sure I wanted to delete those items, that they would be permanently deleted forever......got scared and said no!

So whaddya think.....

I do know that running more than one anti virus program is a no no. But do you think I am safe or do I need to install more on this thing....to keep me safe.

AVG antivirus is one of the best Antivirus programs available, its at least as good as the paid ones, and maybe even better. I use it on all 10 of my office machines and all the personal ones too. I recommend it to everyone, and yeah, never run more than one antivirus program, its like running a humidifier and dehumidifier together and letting them fight it out..at the very least it will slow your system down and at the worst it will crash it.

Go ahead and delete the files found during the cleanup, you'll be fine. Especially if they were in the recycle bin, they aren't being used anyway.

PC's should be defragged more often if lots of new stuff is installed, and not as often if you aren't doing much more than surfing, playing games, and typing up an occasional document for example..how often? Maybe every month or two if you aren't installing much..maybe every couple of weeks to a month if you are constantly trying new software.

For other pc cleaning software, look elsewhere in this section, I have posted about what programs you should be running regularly. Most run in the background on a regular schedule once you get them installed.

Report Spam   Logged
Rella

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 06:47:27 pm »

Thanks Wizer......I feel like an idiot using this thing! 

I'm not used to having to do anything to stay safe online.

I will take your advice and read up on your tips tho!

BTW............love these new smilies!!! cool
Report Spam   Logged

wizer

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 07:02:20 pm »

Thanks Wizer......I feel like an idiot using this thing! 

I'm not used to having to do anything to stay safe online.

I will take your advice and read up on your tips tho!

BTW............love these new smilies!!! cool

off topic

Sorry but I had to use that one..I just added it a short while ago

I hope the smileys aren't slowing down the loading of the page when you hit <reply>

Let me know if it is..if so I will move some to the [more] box or just get rid of some.

I might be overdoing it...

lol sign
Report Spam   Logged
Rella

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 07:16:33 pm »

off topic

Sorry but I had to use that one..I just added it a short while ago

I hope the smileys aren't slowing down the loading of the page when you hit <reply>

Let me know if it is..if so I will move some to the [more] box or just get rid of some.

I might be overdoing it...

lol sign

All seems to be working A OK on my end.....

horse

I just had to use that one ... roflmao
Report Spam   Logged

wizer

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 07:28:12 pm »

All seems to be working A OK on my end.....

Great.

I'll add more later..gotta run!

eek

Report Spam   Logged
GoodWitch

There's No Place Like Home

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 08:09:59 pm »

All working fine here too!  I love this one  pot_kettle
Report Spam   Logged

Rella

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 08:11:18 pm »

banana banana banana banana banana banana banana banana