The_Matrix
April 20, 2024, 11:51:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Register for a free account today, and you can customize your profile, read hidden boards, and add your own posts and comments too!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Panic Attacks

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Panic Attacks  (Read 1094 times)
GoodWitch

There's No Place Like Home

« on: October 12, 2008, 04:09:09 pm »

Anyone else get them? I had one today that was so bad I thought I was going to die. I haven't had one in a very, very long time. I managed to collect myself enough to get outside and walk a couple of miles, and that calmed me down. Then I took a ride to the liquor store LOL Probably not the smartest thing, but I do NOT think I'd survive another one of these.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

RWS

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 09:55:40 am »

One thing to remember about panic attacks is they only last twenty minutes.  Try to take deep breaths, as your breathing usually gets shallow and walking was probably a good idea. 

Now the liquor.... can't say that was a good idea!  But you know that!  Wink

Have you been getting these lately?
Report Spam   Logged

Remember, it doesn't matter whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose. (Darrin Weinberg)
GoodWitch

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 01:32:45 pm »

One thing to remember about panic attacks is they only last twenty minutes.  Try to take deep breaths, as your breathing usually gets shallow and walking was probably a good idea. 

Now the liquor.... can't say that was a good idea!  But you know that!  Wink

Have you been getting these lately?
[/quote

Not for a long time. But I had another one today. Not as bad as yesterday's.
Report Spam   Logged

wizer

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 02:06:01 pm »

I've had panic attacks in the past..mostly during the past 2 years of the time I was living home and my marriage was rapidly deteriorating and I was experiencing depression and anxiety.

I haven't had one in a long time, at least a year, and I have been off all medications for a month or so now.

Know that panic attacks are self limiting, they cannot last more than 10 or 15 minutes because they sap so much energy...it's like a wave, and it simply passes, even if you do nothing.

Regarding driving to the store..a liquore store no less..by the time you got in the car and drove you were most likely past the worst part of the attack, and if driving calms you down, then I don't see a problem. Using liquor to compensate for these unaddressed problems that are triggering these attacks..not good...try to keep it in moderation..and try to figure out what's setting these things off. They tend to be cyclical..and when you have one, the next one may not be far away...and what's worse is that you might find yourself getting anxious and worrying about having another panic attack...

Been there, done that. The best cure...find out the root of the problem, and fix it. Medications may be necessary but they are only a short term patch.

Report Spam   Logged
GoodWitch

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 04:07:37 pm »

I've had panic attacks in the past..mostly during the past 2 years of the time I was living home and my marriage was rapidly deteriorating and I was experiencing depression and anxiety.

I haven't had one in a long time, at least a year, and I have been off all medications for a month or so now.

Know that panic attacks are self limiting, they cannot last more than 10 or 15 minutes because they sap so much energy...it's like a wave, and it simply passes, even if you do nothing.

Regarding driving to the store..a liquore store no less..by the time you got in the car and drove you were most likely past the worst part of the attack, and if driving calms you down, then I don't see a problem. Using liquor to compensate for these unaddressed problems that are triggering these attacks..not good...try to keep it in moderation..and try to figure out what's setting these things off. They tend to be cyclical..and when you have one, the next one may not be far away...and what's worse is that you might find yourself getting anxious and worrying about having another panic attack...

Been there, done that. The best cure...find out the root of the problem, and fix it. Medications may be necessary but they are only a short term patch.

I know exactly what did it. And I think I've stopped it at the source.....but, this was bad.
Report Spam   Logged

wizer

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 04:21:51 pm »

I know exactly what did it. And I think I've stopped it at the source.....but, this was bad.

Panic attacks are scary. It's a "whole body" response, and everything is raging inside you...from the feeling that your heart is going to explode out of your chest, to the feeling that you are going to literally jump out of your own skin..to the feeling that you are totally losing control of your mind and body..it's not fun.

But it's also quite common. You can see why ERs are full of patients who think they are having heart attacks and worse..when its nothing more than "anxiety gone wild".

Report Spam   Logged
theWiz

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 08:26:33 pm »

Me, not in many years.  Used to have them occasionally, usually a reaction to bad drugs.

I'd suggest you look into "differential/progressive relaxation."   More reliable than alcohol.
Report Spam   Logged
GoodWitch

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 09:54:33 pm »

you guys, i'm not so sure i'm gonna make it through this night in one piece. I don't feel suicidal, I just don't feel like myself.So totally freaked out.
Report Spam   Logged

Touche
Bronze

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 10:23:19 pm »

Anyone else get them? I had one today that was so bad I thought I was going to die. I haven't had one in a very, very long time. I managed to collect myself enough to get outside and walk a couple of miles, and that calmed me down. Then I took a ride to the liquor store LOL Probably not the smartest thing, but I do NOT think I'd survive another one of these.

Breathe...just slowly breathe.  Force your mind free and focus on nothing but breathing.

They are quite alarming.  The first time I had one, I was driving....I pulled over.... and I swear I had another one just thinking about the thought of dying at a gas station!  LOL!  I really thought I was having a heart attack and going to die.  Shocked 

Ive only had a couple.....relaxing was the only thing I found helpful.

Good luck!
Report Spam   Logged
wizer

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 10:50:23 pm »

you guys, i'm not so sure i'm gonna make it through this night in one piece. I don't feel suicidal, I just don't feel like myself.So totally freaked out.

It WILL pass...not only the panic attack itself, but the generalized "anxiety" which is what I think you're feeling right now. You said yourself you dealt with the core problem, so the rest will work itself out. Relax...let it happen, don't try to force anything.

Hang in there GW.

Report Spam   Logged
GoodWitch

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 08:34:54 am »

Thanks you guys, I'm OK now. Rough night but someone helped me a lot.
Report Spam   Logged

Skylla

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 06:31:35 pm »

Thanks you guys, I'm OK now. Rough night but someone helped me a lot.

GW....Glad to hear you are ok now, I have never had a panic attack so I don't know what one feels like, but from what I read here.....it sounds scary.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: