The_Matrix
April 20, 2024, 12:22:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Register for a free account today, and you can customize your profile, read hidden boards, and add your own posts and comments too!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Vitamins and Antioxidants may in fact do more harm than good!!!!!!!!!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vitamins and Antioxidants may in fact do more harm than good!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 982 times)
wizer

« on: June 09, 2008, 03:51:45 pm »

As a "skeptic" by nature, I do not believe things I am told unless I am also provided with supportive proof.

One of the things I have always wondered about, is whether or not vitamins and antioxidants are actually useful. Sure, they are heavily promoted by doctors (who are courted by salespeople), and of course by the manufactuers, through commercials, "news releases", and other marketing tactics. Truth is, there are many studies out there that question the efficacy of vitamins and antioxidants.

Here's an article on CNN that was just released that suggests that not only are vitamins and antioxidants not necessary, but they may actually increase the possiblity of DEATH.

Key excerpts from the article:

Taking antioxidants like vitamins A and E to prolong life may actually have the opposite effect, new research has found.

A review of 67 studies involving more than 230,000 people found "no convincing evidence" that the vitamins prolonged life, the Press Association reported.

"Even more, beta-carotene, vitamin A, and vitamin E seem to increase mortality," according to the researchers.

The experts said the studies involved different doses of each antioxidant. A total of 232,550 people were involved.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Greek
Bronze

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 06:05:28 pm »

I take a low dose E (100 IU) and I have carrot juice occasionally.  I do not buy into multi vitamins and tons of anti oxidants. I believe in fiber, fresh food when possible, some suppliments (i.e fish oil, magnesium) but thats about it
Report Spam   Logged
fairydust
Bronze

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 01:28:13 pm »

damn someone catch me because I take so many supplements im sure to keel over right now.
Report Spam   Logged

Fine Point

rainmusic

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 02:43:29 pm »

Around-and-around we go, where this merry-go-round stops nobody knows!  I betcha I could come up with 67 studies which contradict the findings of the ones underlying this article.

I haven't searched for underlying studies but anything Big Pharma finances is a pile of poo in my humble opinion.  They would much rather you taking expensive anti-depressants than a vitamin supplement. 
Report Spam   Logged

There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation. – Herbert Spencer

Fine Point

rainmusic

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 02:44:41 pm »

A bit later when I have more time, I will look up who owns CNN...
Report Spam   Logged

There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation. – Herbert Spencer

fairydust
Bronze

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 02:51:19 pm »

I'm going to keep taking my supplements.. I take a lot.. but I don't think im taking a massive quantity of any particular one.  But seriously.. catch me if i fall?
Report Spam   Logged

wizer

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 02:54:19 pm »

Around-and-around we go, where this merry-go-round stops nobody knows!  I betcha I could come up with 67 studies which contradict the findings of the ones underlying this article.

I haven't searched for underlying studies but anything Big Pharma finances is a pile of poo in my humble opinion.  They would much rather you taking expensive anti-depressants than a vitamin supplement. 

But the vitams are so colorful and they taste so good!

Problem is I eat all the purple Dino ones first and then all thats left is the orange Vilma ones.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: