The_Matrix
March 29, 2024, 06:52:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Register for a free account today, and you can customize your profile, read hidden boards, and add your own posts and comments too!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Computers in autos?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Computers in autos?  (Read 1553 times)
Touche
Bronze

« on: September 08, 2008, 04:19:10 pm »

I have an odd question.  My car keeps jumping into "limp home mode"....this means it will only drive 15mph.   Angry  Its a saftey feature.  First time it happened.... I had gone through a carwash....my dashboard lit up like a x-mas tree.  Then threw down into "limp homemode."  Sounds like a short to me.  Its an intermittent problem.

They've reset transmission...computer whatever.  It was fine for awhile.....it did it again today.

It goes in the shop again tomorrow.  They're telling me its a "speed sensor" problem.

Anyone ever had this problem and what does it mean?

Thanks!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Touche
Bronze

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 04:28:12 pm »

Take that back right now!!   Cheesy

Ive already changed mechanics!  This is a legit problem! 

OMG!  I dont believe you said that!!  LOL! LOL!LOL!
Report Spam   Logged
Touche
Bronze

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 04:41:53 pm »

They've only reset it twice.  The first time.... was to re-program the gas guage and get a reading from the "check engine"......which wasnt programed correctly from the other place.  He couldnt get a reading....it didnt spit out a code.  So we had to wait for it to happen.  It did.  On a friday.   Angry  He was kind enough to reset it for me so I wouldnt be stranded over the holiday weekend.  I thought that was pretty nice...since I kinda jumped the line.

They are nice people!!  Tongue

I already had an appointment for tomorrow.

He was able to narrow it down to a "speed sensor" problem.  Im just curious what it means...I googled the part and its only $70.....so it cant be too big of a deal...eh??

Report Spam   Logged
Touche
Bronze

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 04:43:22 pm »

Now sis....you ought to know me better than that....I will NOT take it back.

Your new mechanic must like looking at your ass and boobs just as much.

Maybe you need to find a female mechanic.....but then again, your luck ....she would be a lesbian.....

You are just BAD today!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Touche
Bronze

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 05:02:01 pm »

And I am not even trying to be bad.

I have actually been in a very grateful mood today.

I am enjoying the peacefulness of my life.

Kind of enjoying the calm before the storm.....I sense a storm brewing......what day do we become unbanned?  Any idea?

You're being awful!    Shocked

You honestly expect me to remember when we were banned from DooDooSkirtz's?  Pllllease....I cant even clearly remember Sat night!   Cheesy Grin

Report Spam   Logged
Touche
Bronze

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 05:09:36 pm »

You are the one who was the BAD girl......why don't you share what happened.....lol....I'm listening......and.....

I had a great time!  Everyone was out.   Smiley  I only remember having 3 glasses of wine.  However,since we were out until 3am....and my glass remained full all night.  I coooooould be wrong about only 3 glasses.   Undecided

Thats all you get...LOL!   Lips Sealed

I had a fab time!

Report Spam   Logged
wizer

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 05:21:50 pm »

Sorry, I just saw this thread. Aside from exchanging pms with Skylla I haven't read any of the posts since this morning..trying to get utilities going for my condo..

Cars and computers are tricky. Some mechanics are more competent than others. I would go by the 3 strike rule, if they can't figure it out and fix it after 3 times, find another mechanic.

Report Spam   Logged
Touche
Bronze

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 05:27:34 pm »

Sorry, I just saw this thread. Aside from exchanging pms with Skylla I haven't read any of the posts since this morning..trying to get utilities going for my condo..

Cars and computers are tricky. Some mechanics are more competent than others. I would go by the 3 strike rule, if they can't figure it out and fix it after 3 times, find another mechanic.

Well....its a German car.  Only two places in town work on them.  Im really hoping he can fix it tomorrow.   Undecided

I was just wondering what to expect.  He said the trick is...the codes dont tell you the exact problem.  You have to find it.  He said my car has at least 40 computers in it.  That cant be right...can it?

Good luck on your condo!   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Touche
Bronze

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 05:29:25 pm »

Must have been some good wine....come on...tell us more....

Nope...no more!  Other than to say we are all going out again tonight.   Smiley  At least I wont have to worry about driving...LOL!
Report Spam   Logged
Touche
Bronze

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 06:12:16 pm »

Oh, you bad girl.....at least don't drink as much....your no fun the next day when I call you and you can't talk cause you can't quit throwing up.....not only that but you missed all the fun at WS and now the thread is deleted.

It must have been pretty awful for you.....you couldn't even sit at the computer the next day to read all 10 pages.....lol....now that is just having too much to drink.

BTW...how many pages did you manage to read?

Are you trying to troll me?  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
wizer

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 11:51:21 pm »

Sorry didnt read thread---Sounds like a fuel filter but go up to autozone or advanced auto and they will check your computer for free

I would think the mechanic who checked the car multiple times would have at the very least ruled out a fuel filter.

Report Spam   Logged
wizer

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 10:52:45 am »

There does seem to be a lot of guests viewing here.

If 10% of those guests would register accounts this place would be rocking...LOL...we had 370 online, and many of them were "bots" or automated software programs like from Google and Yahoo, but there were lots of real people too...cmon folks, join up and lets share some posts.

Skylla, I wish I had a better answer for you other than to suggest another mechanic because they shouldn't have to take this long to figure it out. I have had car problems and switching mechanics often results in an immediate fix.

Some are good in some areas but not others.

Report Spam   Logged
RWS

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 11:32:36 am »

If 10% of those guests would register accounts this place would be rocking...LOL...we had 370 online, and many of them were "bots" or automated software programs like from Google and Yahoo, but there were lots of real people too...cmon folks, join up and lets share some posts.

Skylla, I wish I had a better answer for you other than to suggest another mechanic because they shouldn't have to take this long to figure it out. I have had car problems and switching mechanics often results in an immediate fix.

Some are good in some areas but not others.

I think many are lurkers from DO.

Sorry to hear about your car troubles Touche!  I hate having to deal with this kind of crap, you never know if you are getting a fair shake or not.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember, it doesn't matter whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose. (Darrin Weinberg)
wizer

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 12:48:50 pm »

Sorry to hear about your car troubles Touche!  I hate having to deal with this kind of crap, you never know if you are getting a fair shake or not.

Cars are supposed to be getting easier to fix, by having "self diagnosing computers" and such..but in fact I think it's getting tougher for mechanics, especially if they are not up on the latest technology.

Report Spam   Logged
Touche
Bronze

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 08:15:03 pm »

Thanks!  This too shall pass...LOL!  Well....the mechanic cant repair it.  Sad  Apparently,there are "special tools" you need to fix it.  I thought that was a myth.  LOL!  Shoot me...I was trying to save time by avoiding the trip to the dealership. (Its an hour away) All Ive done is waste time by not taking it in the first place.  Im going to attempt to drive it up tomorrow or thursday.  They'll give me a loaner car....thats a plus.  Im renting at the moment.

I cant decide if I should have someone follow me or not ...in case,on the way it shifts into limp mode.  Ahhh...Ill probably brave it and hope they give me a convertable to toole around in while they fix it!   Tongue Grin

I know I know...they wont!  Be nice tho...........  Wink

I will request one........ Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: