The_Matrix
April 19, 2024, 11:08:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Register for a free account today, and you can customize your profile, read hidden boards, and add your own posts and comments too!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Google unleashes their new Browser- "Chrome"

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Google unleashes their new Browser- "Chrome"  (Read 409 times)
wizer

« on: September 03, 2008, 01:09:05 pm »

Here's the review:

Chrome is Google's attempt to disappear the browser and to focus on the applications and pages users are viewing, rather than on the border with its tools. Some of Chrome's basic underpinnings are quite novel, but users will recognize other features as they exist in other, open-source browsers on the market today.

Currently only for Windows, Chrome is blazingly fast, easily the fastest browser available. Based on Webkit, the same open-source engine that powers Apple Safari and Google's Android mobile platform, Chrome's interface is a drastic departure from other browsers. Instead of the traditional toolbar, Chrome puts its tabs on top. Moreover, the tabs are detachable: "tabs" and "windows" are interchangeable here. Detached tabs can be dragged and dropped into the browser, and tabs can be rearranged at any time. By isolating each tab's processes, when one site crashes, the browser does not.

Within each tab are individual controls, such as forward and back buttons. The search box and the address bar have been fused into a hybrid "Omnibox". The Omnibox includes not only suggestions for URLs culled from your browser's history, it also includes search suggestions from your search engine, and remembers site-specific search engine results. There's also Application Shortcuts, a feature that allows you to create desktop icons for Web-only applications, such as Gmail or Calendar. The stealth mode, Incognito, lets users surf without the history recording cookies.

Chrome lacks plug-ins, and there's the potential for high memory usage given that each tab is its own process. If you're addicted to Web apps and a need for speed, though, Chrome just might be the shine your browsing experience has been looking for.

Download the installation program here
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

theWiz

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 03:27:09 pm »

Interesting.  If anyone does try it, I'd appreciate a report.
Report Spam   Logged
wizer

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 03:35:30 pm »

I can't believe how freaking fast it is.

I have been using it for the past hour or two. The Matrix as well as another board that was slower than Matrix load instantly.

Report Spam   Logged
GoodWitch

There's No Place Like Home

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 04:52:56 pm »

I downloaded it on my XP system - so far, so good! Very fast.
Report Spam   Logged

GoodWitch

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 12:28:34 pm »

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/150639/early_security_issues_tarnish_googles_chrome.html
Report Spam   Logged

wizer

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 12:45:41 pm »

It would appear, at least at this early stage, that both of the issues you and I had with Google Chrome falsely identifying The Matrix as a "Malware Infected Site", occurred because our own computers were infected, and installing and scanning and removing infections solved both of our problems...so Google Chrome indirectly did us both a favor, even if it wrongly identified the forum as the culprit...

Report Spam   Logged
GoodWitch

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 01:46:38 pm »

It would appear, at least at this early stage, that both of the issues you and I had with Google Chrome falsely identifying The Matrix as a "Malware Infected Site", occurred because our own computers were infected, and installing and scanning and removing infections solved both of our problems...so Google Chrome indirectly did us both a favor, even if it wrongly identified the forum as the culprit...

Agreed!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: