The_Matrix
April 19, 2024, 08:25:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Register for a free account today, and you can customize your profile, read hidden boards, and add your own posts and comments too!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

One store told me the mainboard was shot, the other said nothing wrong with it..

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One store told me the mainboard was shot, the other said nothing wrong with it..  (Read 261 times)
wizer

« on: August 01, 2008, 04:52:19 pm »

I have 9 computers networked in my office. I built them all from components, and ran all the network cables and configured the routers and the modem. I know a fair amount about computers and networking, but nowadays when something breaks it's easier to run it to the local computer store and let them troubleshoot it, rather than me pulling off the cover, and trying out different parts, often I don't have working parts to test anyway...and I don't have the patience. Plus they don't usually charge all that much.

One store I used a lot moved further away, ironically enough they relocated to within walking distance of my new condo, a few miles away. Good place for a condo complex, bad place for a computer store. They went bust. They saved on the rent, but lost more than that in the location..they were chinese guys who were great at computers but lousy at business.

So not one but two new computer repair stores opened up across the street. I used the first guys a few times for some minor repairs, they were ok, but when the new store opened, with its spacious and fully updated interior, fancy sign, and oriental repair guy, I gave him a try. Plus he is diagnally to the right, the other store is diagonally to the left, and I figure he is about 20 steps closer. He fixed one or two computers that were simply the power supply (probably THE most common component failure), and didn't try to rip me off and charge a whole bunch for uneeded parts, so I figured he was trustworthy.

Last week one of my computers kept shutting off during the workday. I figured power supply...after pulling the cover and seeing nothing amiss I ran it across the street (diagonal right). He never calls me, even though I give him the number every time I drop something off. That's his mistake #1. A few days later I go over there and I ask him whats up. He says its the mainboard. I say fine, how much? He says he will look into it. That's mistake #2. He should have been able to quote me a price right then, it's not rocket science to replace the innards of a pc..I say fine, can you get to it within a day. He says, "I don't know, I am a bit backed up". That's mistake #3, especially after the first two, but I say fine, can you call me this time? He says sorry, sure.

I run over there yesterday after not hearing from him, he says he is "still waiting for a call from the vendor". I said screw it, I will fix it myself...I figure I can order a mainboard, ram, and a processor off Ebay of the same speed for under $50...as I start walking towards my office, I say "screw it" and I continue along the sidewalk to the other guys. I explain that it keeps shutting off and please look it over.

I ran back over there today (they didnt call either), they said its fine, some of the boards were loose, they tightened it all up, ran a bunch of tests, and its working perfectly. They said no charge, but can you examine the eyes of one of the employees. Guess which way I will walk out of my office with my next broken computer...

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Rella

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 05:17:12 pm »

Your stories are soooooooo amusing Wiser.......they always make me smile no matter what kind of day I am having! What a writer you are!

Just goes to show you........ don't be deceived by appearances......

Report Spam   Logged

I must be a Yawnie cuz Rubes says so!!
wizer

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 08:47:54 pm »

Your stories are soooooooo amusing Wiser.......they always make me smile no matter what kind of day I am having! What a writer you are!

Thanks. I try to find the humor in things. Fact is often funnier than fiction.  Azn
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: