The_Matrix
April 18, 2024, 10:40:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Register for a free account today, and you can customize your profile, read hidden boards, and add your own posts and comments too!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ask Idocsteve your eye and vision related questions here!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ask Idocsteve your eye and vision related questions here!  (Read 6219 times)
fairydust
Bronze

« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2009, 12:46:14 pm »

Im very near sighted. I can hold a book 2 inches away from my face and read it (if i close my right eye that is lol)  I have been thinking of lasik.. but scared about it.. I used to get pink eye when i was a kid, over and over.. soon as one eye would heal the other would explode and i have scar tissue from it.. if you shine a bright light in my eye you can see it around the black ring (whats that part called again? ) so i am a little nervous that any sort of cutting on my eye would backfire.. but it sure would be nice to not wear glasses anymore..
Report Spam   Logged

GoodWitch

There's No Place Like Home

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2009, 04:32:43 pm »

Im very near sighted. I can hold a book 2 inches away from my face and read it (if i close my right eye that is lol)  I have been thinking of lasik.. but scared about it.. I used to get pink eye when i was a kid, over and over.. soon as one eye would heal the other would explode and i have scar tissue from it.. if you shine a bright light in my eye you can see it around the black ring (whats that part called again? ) so i am a little nervous that any sort of cutting on my eye would backfire.. but it sure would be nice to not wear glasses anymore..

I'm nearsighted like that too! It's a pain in the butt.
Report Spam   Logged

wizer

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2009, 12:22:40 am »

LASIK is approved for just about any prescription nowadays. Sure there are risks but statistically speaking the odds are very much in your favor of a desirable outcome. The key is to use an experienced surgeon who has the latest technology.

Pink eye, also known as conjunctivitis is an inflammation of the white part of the eye, due to infection (bacterial or viral), or due to allergies. It doesn't cause an eye to explode nor does it typically result in scarring.

Whatever you got a scar from, it was something unusual, especially if you can see the scar when you transilluminate the Iris. Sometimes scar tissue can be removed or reduced during LASIK.

Report Spam   Logged
fairydust
Bronze

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2009, 03:19:37 am »

I didn't mean explode literally.. just meant that the infections would go from eye to eye.. lol  the scar tissue came about after my last horrid bout with pink eye around 14 years old.  During that time you could see the white scar even without shining a light in my eye.  We thought it was puss at the time..  ugh.. pink eye was horrible. I used to get teased about it so much. I had it so often they started calling me Dead Eye at school... 
Report Spam   Logged

wizer

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2009, 12:12:29 pm »

I didn't mean explode literally.. just meant that the infections would go from eye to eye.. lol  the scar tissue came about after my last horrid bout with pink eye around 14 years old.  During that time you could see the white scar even without shining a light in my eye.  We thought it was puss at the time..  ugh.. pink eye was horrible. I used to get teased about it so much. I had it so often they started calling me Dead Eye at school... 

You most likely had a corneal ulcer, which is the most serious form of eye infection.

I've only seen a few of those in 20 years of doing eye exams. There are surgical techniques to reduce the scarring and like I said it could possibly done in conjunction with refractive surgery to reduce your dependency on eyeglasses.

You were called "Dead Eye", huh? I was called "Fish Lips" because my upper lip was thick and turned up a bit.

We would have been quite a pair.

azn
Report Spam   Logged
fairydust
Bronze

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2009, 02:38:29 am »

damn... why the hell didn't anyone take this seriously back then?! A corneal ulcer??!?!?!  wtf?!?!  Those assholes just gave me the standard drops and sent me on my way.. it sounds like i probably needed a lot more care then that. Maybe they were on autopilot because i had suffered from it so often..  but dang.. corneal ulcer?Huh?
Report Spam   Logged

fairydust
Bronze

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2009, 02:44:38 am »

oh jaysus.. i gotta get out of this thread.. I started googling images of corneal ulcers and now i'm freaked the hell out! damn... I've totally got the heebie jeebies now!  I need to chillax...
Report Spam   Logged

wizer

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2009, 10:08:05 am »

damn... why the hell didn't anyone take this seriously back then?! A corneal ulcer??!?!?!  wtf?!?!  Those assholes just gave me the standard drops and sent me on my way.. it sounds like i probably needed a lot more care then that. Maybe they were on autopilot because i had suffered from it so often..  but dang.. corneal ulcer?Huh?

The standard treatment for a corneal ulcer is high dose of antibiotics every 1-2 hours for the first few days, and followed by a steroid after the infection is sterilized to reduce the inflammatory response and resultant scarring.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: