The_Matrix
March 29, 2024, 11:29:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Register for a free account today, and you can customize your profile, read hidden boards, and add your own posts and comments too!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ask Idocsteve your eye and vision related questions here!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ask Idocsteve your eye and vision related questions here!  (Read 6196 times)
pi

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 09:07:37 pm »

Don't knock it unless you tried it. Just kidding. Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Stop trying to figure it out. Just go with it.
wizer

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 09:44:57 pm »

I just want to know if the hicks here are full of ****. I could wear contacts and then reading glasses or something.
Where's that damn doctor. They always keep ya waiting! LOL

There ARE bifocal contact lenses for people with astigmatism, several of the larger contact lens companies make them. The fitting is a bit complicated and more expensive then regular contacts but sure they are available, another option is "monovision" with toric (astigmatic contacts), with one eye distance, the other eye reading, or as you said, distance contact lenses that correct your astigmatism with reading glasses over them for close work.

I have heard this same story so many times, about how "my last eye doctor told me I couldnt wear contacts for such and such a reason".

It's not true, and docs like that are really unethical to say it, simply because they don't have the know-how, the training, the time, or they just dont give a ****.

Report Spam   Logged
pi

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 10:59:59 pm »

Wink I thought so. I'm going back to contacts ASAP.  You're the best! Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

Stop trying to figure it out. Just go with it.
GoodWitch

There's No Place Like Home

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 12:03:15 am »

Don't knock it unless you tried it. Just kidding. Grin

Wink never tried it
Report Spam   Logged

GoodWitch

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 01:21:37 pm »

Do you think there are contacts I could comfortably wear? I'd be willing to try again if it's possible.
Report Spam   Logged

wizer

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 01:32:59 pm »

Do you think there are contacts I could comfortably wear? I'd be willing to try again if it's possible.

Yes, I do. Lots of new contacts available nowadays.
Report Spam   Logged
GoodWitch

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 01:37:43 pm »

Yes, I do. Lots of new contacts available nowadays.

[/quote

Any particular brand/type I should ask for? I am very nearsighted with bad astigmatism  and need bifocals LOL
Report Spam   Logged

wizer

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 01:56:02 pm »

Any particular brand/type I should ask for? I am very nearsighted with bad astigmatism  and need bifocals LOL

It would be really helpful to know about how much astigmatism you have. If it's at or less than 2.50 diopters, I have had the best success with the new Acuvue Oaysis astigmatism contact lenses by Johnson and Johnson, the makers of Acuvue contact lenses.

You could either do monovision, one eye distance and one eye near or both eyes distance with a pair of reading glasses over them for nearpoint work. Not sure if the complex bifocal astigmatic contacts would work for you, and you would need to find an OD who will fit them. I would be happy to try, but it might be a long trip for you...
Report Spam   Logged
GoodWitch

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 02:13:18 pm »

It would be really helpful to know about how much astigmatism you have. If it's at or less than 2.50 diopters, I have had the best success with the new Acuvue Oaysis astigmatism contact lenses by Johnson and Johnson, the makers of Acuvue contact lenses.

You could either do monovision, one eye distance and one eye near or both eyes distance with a pair of reading glasses over them for nearpoint work. Not sure if the complex bifocal astigmatic contacts would work for you, and you would need to find an OD who will fit them. I would be happy to try, but it might be a long trip for you...

My next question is can you recommend anyone in my area. I'll PM you on that.
Report Spam   Logged

Rella

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 07:20:47 pm »

Wiser I have those "monovision" contacts and I don't like them at all!  I don't get the "crisp" vision I do with my glasses so I rarely wear them. I am nearsighted and have astigmatism.  I have had these ones for about 2 years.....I still have one of the bottles one of them came it.......the one for distance I believe.  It says the BC is 8.7, DIA 14.4, PWR -3.25 -2.25x180 on it. Is there anything new on the market that can give me the vision I want?
Report Spam   Logged

I must be a Yawnie cuz Rubes says so!!
wizer

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 09:35:44 pm »

Wiser I have those "monovision" contacts and I don't like them at all!  I don't get the "crisp" vision I do with my glasses so I rarely wear them. I am nearsighted and have astigmatism.  I have had these ones for about 2 years.....I still have one of the bottles one of them came it.......the one for distance I believe.  It says the BC is 8.7, DIA 14.4, PWR -3.25 -2.25x180 on it. Is there anything new on the market that can give me the vision I want?

The best solution for high astigmatism is both contacts for distance, and then throw on a pair of reading glasses for close work.
Report Spam   Logged
wizer

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 10:34:36 am »

I saw a patient yesterday with a subconjunctival hemorrhage, pictured below. The truth is, they look scary but most of time they are meaningless, and do not require any treatment. If they occur repeatedly, or in both eyes then they "can" be a sign of an underlying blood disorder. They are often seen in patients who take aspirin or blood thinners and may indicate that the patient's dosage may need to be adjusted downward. Sometimes they just occur from vigorous rubbing of the eyes (which should not be done at all), or even a heavy coughing spell.

Report Spam   Logged
GoodWitch

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 12:22:29 pm »

That looks awful! My right eye gets red very easily - not like that, just more of a general red. That's the eye I had operated on. I will be surprised if any contacts are tolerable at this point - it's so sensitive.
Report Spam   Logged

wizer

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 08:28:08 pm »

Skylla,

You are experiencing the condition known as "presbyopia", which is the natural loss of nearpoint vision due to the progressive increase in rigidity of the intraocular crystalline lens of the human eye. There is nothing you can do to prevent it, there's nothing you did to cause it, and it is not related to any of the things you mentioned in your post.

One suggestion: Get yourself to your local optometrist and get a pair of Rx reading glasses, not the over the counter magnifier/readers.

Why?

-OTC readers do not have quality optical lenses
-the frames are poor quality and are rarely adjusted properly
-the lenses do not correct imbalances between the two eyes that most people have, however small they may be.
-the lenses to not correct astigmatism, which is an out of roundness of the eyes, which causes blur. Many people have this.
-the lenses are not measured so that the optical centers line up with the centers of your eyes, known as "pupillary distance". This in effect results in you reading through "induced prism".

Report Spam   Logged
wizer

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2008, 08:30:05 pm »

That looks awful! My right eye gets red very easily - not like that, just more of a general red. That's the eye I had operated on. I will be surprised if any contacts are tolerable at this point - it's so sensitive.

GW, your eyes get "hyperemic" which is a diffuse redness, not a blood spot. There are some great ophthalmic medications available. One that I have had excellent success with is "systane". It's a soothing, tear stablizing, dry eye product and it has worked for patients who have had no luck with other products.

It's available OTC, recommended dosage is 3-5x per day.

Here's a link (click) with more information.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: