The_Matrix
March 28, 2024, 02:36:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Register for a free account today, and you can customize your profile, read hidden boards, and add your own posts and comments too!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ask Idocsteve your eye and vision related questions here!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ask Idocsteve your eye and vision related questions here!  (Read 6194 times)
wizer

« on: July 04, 2008, 03:23:21 pm »

I am a licensed eye care professional in New York State, and if you have any concerns related to your eyes and/or vision, post them here on this thread and I will answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

wizer

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 03:25:48 pm »

Member "S" asks:

Idoc:

Saturday night, i started feeling my Left eye was a little sore. I checked it out in the mirror, and it didnt look like anything was there and it was puffy or swollen.

The next morning, i awake to my eye swollen and a bit painful when  i applied pressure to it with a cold compress.

It went down a little bit as the day went by, but it still was tender.

I awake today, and omg, it was puffier than the hunchback of notre dame's eye. There is a bulging ball on my upper eye lid, (not on it, but on top of it). It hurts, i could barely put on makeup. it hurts when i blink.

wtf is wrong with my eye! do i need real medical attention? Is it a sty???
HELP!

It sounds like a stye. fisrt try pushing your eye lid up against your eyebrow, and then by pressing through a different area of the lid when the eye is closed. There should be pain in the first case and none in the second case, because it's in the lid. If that's the case then you are probably getting a stye which is a clogged gland on the lid. Try to turn the lid up (its going to hurt) and look for a white spot, which is the head...if you see the white spot either on the inside of the lid or on the margin, then using warm compresses twice a day for about 5 minutes, with gentle pressure, may release the contents of the stye and you will be ok. From your rather severe symptoms you are probably going to need a steroid-antibiotic ointment which is available by Rx only.

Disclaimer: I am a licensed NYS eye care professional and therefore I am qualified to dispense medical advice regarding your eyes and vision, but without having physically examined you I cannot accurately diagnose your condition, and my advice is no substitute for a thorough eye examination by a doctor
Report Spam   Logged
Murdock

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 02:41:23 am »

I can't see.

I think I'm going blind... again.

help.

Huh?
Report Spam   Logged

~ Laughter is a Vacation ~
Oliver

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 08:40:54 pm »

About 3 years ago my close up vision became blurred to the point where I couldn't read a newspaper or focus on a computer screen . I've been using magnifiers ever since , not prescription or anything , just the 1.5x you get down at the Walgreens . I wear them pretty constantly as I spend a lot of time on the computer but my eyes don't hurt ... I was wondering if it's pretty much normal for your vision to start to blur as you get older ( I'm 48 now ) and what to expect in the next few years .

Report Spam   Logged
wizer

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 09:56:19 pm »

Most people lose their near point vision at or around 43, give or take a few years, it's like a bell curve distribution. Some may feel it as early as 39, some may make it to mid to late 40s...depending on things such as their own sensitivity and tolerance to blur, the length of their arms (because they can hold near point print further away), and how much near work they actually do...

This condition, known as presbyopia, is due to the gradual hardening and increased rigidity of the intraocular lens..the muscles inside the eye that focus the lens for close work cannot work as efficiently. The process is steady, and progressive, there is nothing you can do to stop it, and there's nothing you did to cause it, however, you should not rely on inexpensive over the counter reading glasses because

1) They may stop you from getting regular eye examinations, which at your age should be done at least every 2 years
2) They are not the same optical quality as real prescription reading glasses
3) The frames are cheap, and not adjusted properly for your face
4) They do not balance our differences between the two eyes which most people have. Try it for yourself, focus on something close through the readers with one eye covered, then switch to the other eye. If its out of focus, even momentarily, thats the difference in the two eyes I am referring to.
5) They dont compensate for even small amounts of astigmatism, which many people have.
6) The centers of the lenses are not measured to line up exactly with the centers of your eyes, so you are essentially getting a prism effect when looking through the magnifiers.

There are other reasons but those are the main ones. Get yourself to the eye doctor and get a real pair of reading glasses.
Report Spam   Logged
Jade

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 10:04:17 pm »

I can't see.

I think I'm going blind... again.

help.

Huh?

Might be exessive masterbation. You know it can make you go blind.

Oh crap. Here i go playing eye doctor again!
Report Spam   Logged
GoodWitch

There's No Place Like Home

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 10:14:16 pm »

Most people lose their near point vision at or around 43, give or take a few years, it's like a bell curve distribution. Some may feel it as early as 39, some may make it to mid to late 40s...depending on things such as their own sensitivity and tolerance to blur, the length of their arms (because they can hold near point print further away), and how much near work they actually do...

This condition, known as presbyopia, is due to the gradual hardening and increased rigidity of the intraocular lens..the muscles inside the eye that focus the lens for close work cannot work as efficiently. The process is steady, and progressive, there is nothing you can do to stop it, and there's nothing you did to cause it, however, you should not rely on inexpensive over the counter reading glasses because

1) They may stop you from getting regular eye examinations, which at your age should be done at least every 2 years
2) They are not the same optical quality as real prescription reading glasses
3) The frames are cheap, and not adjusted properly for your face
4) They do not balance our differences between the two eyes which most people have. Try it for yourself, focus on something close through the readers with one eye covered, then switch to the other eye. If its out of focus, even momentarily, thats the difference in the two eyes I am referring to.
5) They dont compensate for even small amounts of astigmatism, which many people have.
6) The centers of the lenses are not measured to line up exactly with the centers of your eyes, so you are essentially getting a prism effect when looking through the magnifiers.

There are other reasons but those are the main ones. Get yourself to the eye doctor and get a real pair of reading glasses.

Presbyopia?  What the hell does fear of Presbyterians have to do with your vision?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

wizer

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 10:54:13 pm »

Presbyopia?  What the hell does fear of Presbyterians have to do with your vision?  Grin

Um...absolutely nothing.

Sad
Report Spam   Logged
GoodWitch

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 11:13:28 pm »

Um...absolutely nothing.

Sad

Grin Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Oliver

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 06:58:56 pm »

Yeah I think I will ... these magnifiers scratch easily and I've already bought like 5 of 6 of them , I'll end up spending the money anyway so I may as well get something good .

Thanks for the advice !

Report Spam   Logged
pi

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 07:10:43 pm »

Hey Idocsteve.Last time I went for my eye exam I was told I couldn't wear contacts anymore. I wear bifocals and have astigmatism in both eyes. I really want to wear contacts because I have these big beautiful big green eyes that are hid behind glasses.
Are there contacts for someone like me?
Report Spam   Logged

Stop trying to figure it out. Just go with it.
GoodWitch

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 07:29:50 pm »

Hey Idocsteve.Last time I went for my eye exam I was told I couldn't wear contacts anymore. I wear bifocals and have astigmatism in both eyes. I really want to wear contacts because I have these big beautiful big green eyes that are hid behind glasses.
Are there contacts for someone like me?

I've seen her pic and she does indeed have georgeous eyes! Give her contacts!  LOL funny pm to follow
Report Spam   Logged

pi

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 08:26:22 pm »

I just want to know if the hicks here are full of ****. I could wear contacts and then reading glasses or something.
Where's that damn doctor. They always keep ya waiting! LOL
Report Spam   Logged

pi

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 08:29:00 pm »

peek a boo!
Report Spam   Logged

GoodWitch

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 08:53:48 pm »

LOL your eyes are the same color as David Cassidy's. Don't worry, I won't get all sexual over you  LOL
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: