The_Matrix
March 29, 2024, 06:39:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Guests: Register for a free account today, and you can customize your profile, read hidden boards, and add your own posts and comments too!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

For each green light you see, push the button once.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For each green light you see, push the button once.  (Read 296 times)
wizer

« on: June 11, 2008, 10:36:47 am »

You would think with an instruction like that, most people would get it right...most don't.

I need help with the wording..since I say this probably a dozen times a day or more, every additional word is that much longer that I am away from my desk and of course the forums, so we can't have that.

The situation: I give patients an "automated perimetry test" which check their peripheral vision to rule out retinal problems, glaucoma, and even brain tumors.

The patient is seated at the instrument, looking into a bowl shaped instrument (similar to the large hair dryers that go over the head). When the test starts, they are looking at at a red light, and 4 green lights appear. They are supposed to press the button 4 times because there are 4 green lights..if they pass, then the test continues and there is one green light at a time as the test proceeds, and they press it once every time they see it.

So with the above instructions..press the button once for every green light you see...I usually get one of the following results:

1) The patient gets it right, and presses the button 4x. This RARELY happens
2) They dont press it at all. When asked, why didnt you press it, didnt you see the green lights, they usually say something like "oh, yes I saw the green lights, sorry!"
3) They press the button once. When asked "why didn't you press it 4x since you saw 4 lights" they usually say, oh, I DID see 4 green lights, sorry!".

There must be a better way to do this...

Suggestions?

Remember short and sweet...this is the phrase I will use at least a dozen times a day...every day...
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

GoodWitch

There's No Place Like Home

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 10:45:49 am »

Try phrasing it differently - "Each and every time you see a green light, even if they are one right after the other, press the button. If 2 green lights come on at the same time, press it twice."

I hate that test. I can tell exactly how the printout will look by the periods of time when I don't see green lights LOL
Report Spam   Logged

wizer

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 01:04:03 pm »

Try phrasing it differently - "Each and every time you see a green light, even if they are one right after the other, press the button. If 2 green lights come on at the same time, press it twice."

I hate that test. I can tell exactly how the printout will look by the periods of time when I don't see green lights LOL

I'm having deja vu again... Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
GoodWitch

There's No Place Like Home

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 01:05:59 pm »

I'm having deja vu again... Cheesy

Me, too! I'm stuck in an endless loop!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: